Thursday, February 18, 2016

Army Strong


Narrowing down an item to write about is hard. have a lot of stuff that means a lot to me, but I think my brothers dog tags are closest to my heart. My brother is my world, he is my person, and my best friend. He is making me so incredibly proud. He makes me proud everyday! Because of Dylan I strive to be a better person. Dylan doesn't allow me to be sad when he is here, so why should I be sad that he is gone? I miss him a lot, his dog tags represent that no matter what everything is going to be okay because I have Dylan by my side. Dylan graduates from basics next week and then I will officially have an Army brother. Dylan was always quiet growing up, nobody knows him quite like I do. Dylan has written me explaining how hard it was, but he won’t give up. He won’t back down and will become army strong.The army tags kind of represent that no matter what you always have options. That is a weird way to look at it like that, but the Army makes you brave. The army makes you realize things about yourself that you couldn't have done on your own. Well really any military branch. I know I am not mentally nor physically strong enough to be out there in the freezing rain getting yelled at. I know getting called a coward and having to sleep in a hole in the middle of nowhere would definitely traumatize me. I’m strong when it comes to other things but it takes a lot of bravery and courage to be out there doing what those boys are doing. I know that basics, and AIT are just the beginning, but I also know my brother isn't going to give up. Growing up it was always “Dylan and Alyssa come here right now!!” or “ Dylan, did your sister do this?” It was always Dylan and I, and I am lost without him. Going through senior year without my brother can be kind of upsetting, or extremely upsetting but knowing I have his dog tags with me and a very handsome picture of soldier in my wallet just reminds me that I can do this. Dylan gets leave time and he is taking it so he can be at my graduation and that’s honestly all I could ever ask for. I love you Dylan, and I am going to be here every step of the way, no matter what. I cherish these dog tags and can’t wait to see you. Thank you for everything you do! I can’t wait to see you!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet tribute! This is obviously written from the heart, and thank you for sharing. I love that you address Dylan directly at the end. You are so lucky to be so close to your sibling. He IS a good guy. I'm so glad he's coming to graduation. *Great pics, by the way!

    ReplyDelete